Friday, October 18, 2024

Montgomery Court

 

Montgomery Court is a new coffee shop on the corner of Park and Colby (that east section of Park past Culver that’s mostly residential). I don’t drink coffee but they kept posting pics of breakfast foods so I started following them on ye olde IG. 


A while back I stopped in to try the one egg sandwich they had on offer so far - bacon, egg, and cheddar on a cheddar biscuit (left photo), but was unpleasantly surprised to find out that #1, it cost nine bucks and #2, the biscuit was generously flavored with thyme. The biscuit was large which I appreciated for a sandwich (most are tiny and makes holding it as a sandwich impossible) but this bigger size just threw the BEC ratio off. Too much bread and instead of tasting cheddar or aioli I just got thyme. This was early on and I like to suspend judgement while places are finding their groove. 


Last week they posted about a new sandwich that said all the magic words I want to hear: six dollars, NYC style hard roll, bodega vibes. Although the accompanying photo didn’t look like a NYC bodega sandwich I was intrigued! 


Yesterday I was out running errands with one of my kids so we worked a stop into Montgomery coffee to get breakfast. We each ordered The NYC, one with bacon and one with sausage. A few minutes later we got our food and headed to the tables outside (the booths were taken and although there is a bunch of tall tables in place, there is a zoning issue with allowing more indoor seating at the moment).


First impression was good: bacon hanging out the sides, cheddar melting everywhere. The roll still not looking like a hard roll, especially with the lil flat toasted cap, but I can appreciate stylistic differences. We dug in. Bacon was not too salty, a lil chewy, but flavorful. Hallie said the sausage was nothing fancy but good. Cheddar had some sharpness to it, and the egg was…well, a fried egg. Halfway through I wondered if they had forgotten the aioli but Hallie said she had just gotten to the aioli side of hers. I opened mine up and saw that the dollop was squarely in the middle, like a jelly donut. I kept eating and enjoyed the garlicky center. The roll was solid but but not stodgy and held up to breakfast sandwich standards. But this is no hard roll; Instead of a crusty outside (they don’t call them hard for nothin’) this seemed more like a butter soaked dinner roll. It was downright oily. If you can get past that, it’s a solid sandwich.


Montgomery Court

1241 Park Ave, ROC 14610

Sandwich cost: $6 for the NYC, $9 for the OG biscuit

Sandwich rating: You really can’t complain about a $6 sandwich (but that ain’t no hard roll)

No comments:

Post a Comment